Tuesday 12 December 2017

Animals in Winter Wrap-Up (KA & KB)



Hello Families,

The last three weeks since Celebration of Learning have gone by so fast! Since taking over the classroom, I have had nothing but wonderful moments with your kiddos and felt I have given them some great learning experiences. We have had so much fun learning about Animals in Winter! Their positive growth and newfound knowledge makes me very proud to be their teacher.
As you have probably noticed on Seesaw and from previous blog posts, the kiddos spent the last three weeks learning about hibernation, migration, and adaptation. They also learned about the Medicine Wheel and what this First Nation’s symbol represents. My goal for the kiddos was for them to understand the different ways that animals survive in the winter and identify and explain the components of the Medicine Wheel.  They worked hard learning about bears, torpor, and hibernation. They loved being “pelicans” flying to Mexico to find food and a warm home for the winter. And they enjoyed spending two afternoons creating a piece of art to represent white rabbits in the snow. To tie everything together, the kiddos each did their own presentation on what they had learned. They went through the Medicine Wheel and all the ways that animals survive in winter using the activities we did together in class. Over the last couple days I have been uploading their video presentations to Seesaw and as you can see… they did fabulous!


When we learned about adaptation, we read the story Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit by Il Sung Na. The kiddos learned that rabbits and many other animals in Saskatchewan change colors and grow thicker coats in the winter. We compared lots of pictures of foxes, lynx, rabbits, and coyotes in the summer and in the winter and noticed many differences in their coats. They found out that rabbits change from brown to white in the winter (camouflage) to stay safe from predators. Here are a few snaps of the kiddos creating their winter rabbit art. I love the finished products!





When the kiddos finished up making their bears in torpor, I created a bulletin board outside our classroom to show off how cute they turned out! 


  
As my time at Henry Braun comes to a close next week, I am feeling very grateful to have had such a great group of kiddos to spend my internship with. This week, Mr. F has started to teach and I am slowly stepping down for him to take over. The last four months have been an absolute pleasure for me getting to know all of the sweet little people in kindergarten. They are all so kind, eager, and inspiring. Each one of them has their own special personality that has made me laugh myself to tears, warmed my heart, and given me a glimpse into how awesome our future will be with these kiddos leading the way. I will undoubtedly have nothing but wonderful memories being their teacher.

All my best,
Miss Maier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy!! We love to hear your comments!